Monday 26 July 2010

Whatever next


I've broken my reading mould! Rather than reading a Ruth Rendell crime or novels set in the early twentieth century, where women buy hats, worry about servants and eat boiled eggs for supper, I've just devoured two books written by men, set in the Noughties AND one was about American football!!

After watching the TV Book Club on Channel 4, I visited my local library to borrow those featured. It had a stand dedicated to the programme but the only books on display were those from the previous series. So, I took out The Silver Linings Play Book by Matthew Quick and Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby and really enjoyed both of them. Whatever next?!.......


from Juliet, Naked
"It was OK, Duncan thought, that he and Annie had never been in love. Theirs had been an arranged marriage, and it had functioned perfectly well: friends had matched up their interests and temperaments carefully, and they'd got it right. He had never once felt itchy, in the way that two connecting pieces of a jigsaw never felt itchy, as far as one could tell. If one were to imagine, for the sake of argument, that jigsaw pieces had thoughts and feelings, then it was possible to imagine them saying to themselves, 'I'm going to stay here. Where else would I go?' And if another jigsaw piece came along, offering its tabs and blanks enticingly in an attempt to lure one of the pieces away, it would be easy to resist temptation. 'Look,' the object of the seducer's admiration would say. 'You're a bit of telephone box, and I'm the face of Mary, Queen of Scots. We just wouldn't look right together.' And that would be that."

No comments:

Post a Comment